How many of you have set that large New Years Resolution that’s based around a health and wellness goal? How are you tracking with it on day 3 of the New Year? If right now you’re thinking to yourself “oops I shouldn’t have eaten that donut/burger/pastry/bla”, don’t beat yourself up about it. I’ve devised this short little list of considerations that will help you get back on track in no time! 🙂
When setting health and wellness goals, it’s important to recognise where you presently are and set checkpoints along the way between now and the ‘end goal date’. This will help in setting measurable and achievable targets based on where you want to be by a certain date.
The key words here are measurable and achievable.
Here is a small list of considerations that you can make today, to get you planning an amazing 2016 filled with health and happiness:
- Choose your goal. If this goal is based on making changes to your food choices which involve following some type of diet plan, please reconsider if this is actually a goal or a feeling that you’re aiming towards. It’s my personal belief that fad diets don’t work. They just don’t. To read more about this please refer to my most recent blog post Why Dieting Doesn’t Work.
- Figure out what your motivating factor is. What’s the reason that you want this change? Is it because you want to have energy to play with your children/grandchildren? Do you want to look shit hot sexy in a bikini? Are you in the risk zone for diabetes? Figure out your motivating factor and write it down, or even better get creative and add a sign/symbol to a dream board.
- Devise the steps that will allow you to reach that goal. It’s important that these steps are both measurable and achievable in some way. For example, adding a salad to your lunch is great, but if you hate eating salad you’ll probably (actually most definitely) struggle with the steps involved in reaching and maintaining this goal!
- Measure your success. Check-in with yourself and get accountable. Journal about what you’re doing along your goal journey, how you’re feeling, what your lab results from the doctors are, anything that is in alignment with helping you to achieve your goal. Make sure that you’re measuring along the way at your smaller checkpoint goals, this will allow you to see your progress over a longer period of time.
- Surround yourself with those who get you. Having a network that believes in you and is supportive of your goals is important. This can be a group of like-minded friends, family members, a single person, or a combination of all of the above. Having a support network without any form of judgment can be very motivating and what’s more, these people can help keep you accountable and on track to your goals.
- Celebrate your achievements. When you get that one step closer, no matter how small the step might be, celebrate it. Congratulate yourself, give yourself a pat on the back, but more importantly share your success with your family and close friends, etc. Build yourself a close and personal cheer squad of people who are there experiencing the journey with you, having a network to celebrate with makes it a much more enjoyable process. Don’t go at it alone. A simple heartfelt “congratulations” from someone you care about can make all the difference, and it feels good!
- Feel good right now. No matter where you’re at with your health and wellness journey, it’s important to remain positive and optimistic about where you are right now. Feeling good about where you’re at will make the journey a hell of a lot easier and will also help you to have fun with it. And keeping a high vibe is always key to accomplishing things and staying on track, it’s much easier to get shit done when you’re not feeling sorry for yourself!
So with this in mind, next time you review your goals to see how you’re tracking. Remind yourself of where you want to be and devise the little in-between smaller steps that can help you to achieve that larger end goal. Cultivate your support network and have fun with it.
And remember, set your goals and intentions and stick to them. Believe you can achieve whatever you set your mind to. And recognise that creating long term sustainable change is much better than a “quick fix” e.g. fad diet plan.
There is no “quick fix” with your health and wellness journey, it’s a lifestyle, and if you choose, a life long commitment.
That’s all from me for today.
If you have any questions please leave a comment below or send me some electronic love to Sammy@sammydelci.com
Remember – Be happy. Be true. Be you.
Love and light,
P.S. – Do you have that one Health Goal that you are constantly setting and re-setting? Perhaps you’ve been going around in circles getting on and off the “health bandwagon” and you struggle to stick to the plan that you set for yourself in your head? If this sounds like you then perhaps Holistic Health Coaching is something that may benefit you! Please head on over to my Health Coaching page to understand more about what I do and how I can help you. Mention that you read this blog post and I’ll happily gift you an introductory empowerment session FOR FREE!